Roleplaying Tips Round-Up February 2021
- Silver Patrons – Hireling of Adventure
- Notable Threads in the Campaign Community
- Gold Patrons – Apprentice of Adventure
- Platinum Patrons – Wizard of Adventure
- Notable Threads for Wizards of Adventure
- Wizard of Adventure Campaign Support
- Faster Combat Support
- Campaign Logger Updates
- Charting & Diagrams
- Dice Rooms
- Custom Generator Builder Bulk Uploads
- Other Updates
- RoleplayingTips.com Updates
- RPG Stuff I Bookmarked
February was another great month, but it sure went by fast.
There was a big Campaign Logger feature added plus a new add-on.
The new feature is Charts & Diagrams. Perfect for plotting, faction pyramids, and other organizational uses.
And we launched a dice room to help GMs who run virtual, async, or distance gaming.
Wizards of Adventure joined me on another monthly call, and my internet rolled a 20 and kept me connected the entire time. Thank you RJ45!
The forum is busy with lots of great idea sharing and our GM Advisors helping those in need.
The Roleplaying Tips Discord is also picking up steam with some great chats and new channels for links and GM help requests.
Here’s a run-down of links in case you missed anything in February.
Please note the cascading access. Meaning, if you are a Platinum Patron, you get everything in Silver and Gold. And Gold Patrons get everything in Silver.
Silver Patrons – Hireling of Adventure
I created a PDF for the Mother of All Character Questionnaires to help you build out PCs and NPCs.
By the way, have you seen the Campaign Tracker PDF? Someone asked about it, so I thought I’d mention it again.
Notable Threads in the Campaign Community
- Sound Tutorial Q&A
- Sound & Music Resources
- Homebrew rules
- Campaign Logger vs OneNote Vs Evernote
- Font & Graphic resources
- Finding new players
- Tip Request: Ports
- Gather chat app
- Could chasing thieves be a 5RD, and should it?
- Realistic Science-Fiction RPG Star Maps
- Creating a world/campaign
Gold Patrons – Apprentice of Adventure
5 Room Dungeon Zine #03 is nearly complete!
This diabolical adventure pits the PCs against an Ooze Master and his precious pets in an abandoned brewery.
I just watched a documentary on slimes this week, actually. It looks like they might be intelligent!
They can solve problems, find optimal routes through tricky paths than people cannot do without aid of a powerful computer, learn, and remember.
More good news: 5RDZ #4 draft is complete. Expect to review that as part of your wonderful Patronage in April, fingers crossed.
Platinum Patrons – Wizard of Adventure
Notable Threads for Wizards of Adventure
- “Combat Tracker”: Prep Checklist
- Using Logger with WoA
- Adventure seed trouble
- Chaotic Combat: D20 3E adaptation of card-based initiative
- The Pyramid Pushes Back: Villain Reactions
- Faction Pyramids in Campaign Logger
- Campaign Plotline Template: No Villain?
- “And… Action!”: Monster Autopilot
- More Help on 5RD
- Campaign Plotline: No Levels or Tiers
Wizard of Adventure Campaign Support
If you are going through the Adventure Building Master Game Plan, don’t forget to create your on homework and ideation thread in the Wizard of Adventure forum. This is a private forum for you that your prying players cannot read. 🙂
Ask any of the moderators for help or ideas if you ever get stuck. We’re here to support you.
Faster Combat Support
New GM Advisor @ExileInParadise has been going through the Faster Combat course and making a thread for every lesson.
This is a fantastic resource to ask question, post exercise homework, and get his very smart takes on lessons.
Campaign Logger Updates
The beta version of the app (called Campaign Logger vNext) is getting weekly fixes, updates, and exciting new features thanks to the hard work of my business partner Jochen, and Cory, Holger, and Rardian.
Access to the Beta is open to all Patrons: Campaign Logger
Charting & Diagrams
Charting and Diagrams are now available as an alpha feature!
Charting/Diagramming Syntax: About Mermaid
Also in beta, this tool helps for online or distance gaming.
Custom Generator Builder Bulk Uploads
The Custom Generator Builder now supports bulk uploads via CSV and JSON
- The first CSV row is treated as a header row
- Values within a row need to be separated by COMMA (not semi-colon)
- Double-quotes around a value must be used to have commas within a value
- Each column will become its own table
- The filename will be the name of the new generator
- The column names (from the header row) will become the names of the tables
- The column names will be the categories of the new generator
- The column names will form the auto-created result pattern from where one can adjust the generator manually
All imported generators now get “[IMPORTED] ” prepended to their name – that can be changed to whatever one desires after a file has been imported.
- A comparison of Campaign Logger V1 to vNext: https://campaign-community.com/index.php?threads/feature-parity-cl-legacy-vs-cl-vnext.1117/#post-9447
- Search/filter terms are now marked/highlighted in entries
- Speedier: Campaigns and Logs are now loaded in batches instead of all at once
- Bugfix: Editor is no longer empty after a refresh
- Bugfix: Footer formatting and spacing of main content
New and updated GM tips posted on the blog:
- The Chaotic Good Game Room
- The Organized Game Room
- Starting a West Marches Campaign – Step By Step
- Villain Roleplay Tips – A Trio of Detestable Traits
- 3 Things To Do When You Get Bored With Your Campaign
- My 7 Keys to a Great Sandbox Game
- 7 Ways to Improve Virtual and Online Game Sessions
- Factions & Villains – 3 Reader GM Tips
- Fantastic Factions => 4 Tricks To Get The Most Out Of Your Villain Factions
- What Are Three Round Combat Plans?
- Give Enemies Missions Too
RPG Stuff I Bookmarked
- Memorable NPC generator
- Vassal for playing board games online
- Mansion generator
- Monster maker
- GMing podcast
- Cepheus Engine 1,000,001 characters
- 100 dungeon encounters
- Random job generator
Thank you wonderful Roleplaying Tips Patrons for your support!
You are helping game masters around the world have more fun at every game.
And I hope you are too!